Audio/Video Recording Policy
Any audio/video recording that takes place at a MERLOT event is subject to the following:
Requests to create an audio/video recording must be made in writing to the MERLOT Managing Director. The request must be made using the MERLOT Audio/Video Request Form (see below) and include:
i) the session name, date, and location for which the request is being made,
ii) a description of the group/individual/organization making the request,
iii) the purpose of the request,
iv) the intended use of the recording,
v) a description of the actual recording facility/equipment that will be used,
vi) a list of all participants in the session,
vii) signed release forms (see below) of every participant in the session, and
viii) agreement of the requestor to comply with all conditions of this policy. Any audio/video recording activities should not interfere with the primary purpose of the session itself.
2. Approval for all audio or video (audio/video) recording of conference events is made at the discretion of the MERLOT Management Team. Final sign-off to create audio/video recordings is issued by the MERLOT Executive or Managing Director.
3. Creation of an audio/video recording requires that a release form (see Appendix below) be signed by every participant prior to recording (see Condition #1, above).
4. Private recording is not allowed without permission. Session chairs are authorized to halt the creation of unauthorized recordings.
5. Session chairs, facilitators, etc. must be pre-informed by the event planner/coordinator that the session has been authorized for audio/video recording. The session chair is authorized to terminate an unauthorized recording.
6. An announcement must be made prior to a session that the session will be recorded. Audience members give their implicit permission by remaining in the session and for them, no release is required. Audience members who are absent for such announcements but who are present for the remainder of the session, give their implicit permission to be recorded.
7. The following statement should appear in every event program. “Sessions in the program may be recorded. Audience members are advised that their attendance at recorded sessions, whether or not an announcement is made at the time of the session, grants all rights of permission of the audience member to MERLOT, as outlined in the MERLOT Conference Audio/Video Recording Policy (http://taste.merlot.org/audiopolicy.html).”
8. Any costs associated with the creation of an audio/video record must be incurred by those wishing to create the audio/video recording unless funding is specifically authorized by the MERLOT Management Team.
9. Audio/video material created at a MERLOT event shall not be used by the recorders for financial gain without MERLOT’s permission. Please contact the MERLOT Managing Director for permission.
10. MERLOT will be provided with a copy of each instance of audio/video recording created at a MERLOT event, within 30 days of the creation of the recording.
11. MERLOT is authorized to reuse the copy in a non-profit manner that is consistent with MERLOT’s goals and objectives.
MERLOT Audio/Video Recording Release Form
I grant permission to MERLOT, its employees and agents, to tape and use audio/video images of
me. Audio/video images (A/V) are any type of recording, including but not limited to photographs, digital images, drawings, renderings, voices, sounds, video recordings, audio clips or accompanying written descriptions.
MERLOT will not materially alter the original A/V. I agree that MERLOT owns the A/V and all rights related to the A/V. The A/V may be used in any manner or media (e.g., university-sponsored web sites, publications, promotions, broadcasts, webcasts, advertisements, posters and theater slides, as well as for non-university uses) without notifying me. I waive any right to inspect or approve the finished images or any printed or electronic matter that may be used with them, or to be compensated for them.
I am at least 18 years of age and competent to sign this release. I have read this release before signing. I understand its contents, meaning and impact and I freely accept the terms.
_____________________________________ email address
Mail/forwarding information to be added
Audio/Video Request Form
Please email the following information to the MERLOT Managing Director at email@example.com.
1. The event name, session name, dates, times, and location for which the request is being made.
2. The name and a description of the group/individual/organization making the request.
3. Contact information for the requestor (email and phone).
4. The purpose of the request.
5. Intended use of the final recording.
6. A description of the actual recording facility/equipment that will be used.
7. A list of all participants in the session and a copy of the MERLOT Audio/Video Recording Release Form signed by each participant.
8. Indication in your request that you agree to comply with all conditions of the MERLOT Event Audio/Video Recording Policy.
Revised June 2, 2008